This position is available as either 100% remote - you should be available / working during daylight hours in Central European (Summer) Time - or you can work at our headquarters in Cologne, Germany where many of our engineering team are situated.
At ESL, we are esports, our mission is to create a world where everybody can be somebody. As a Senior Backend Software Engineer at ESL you will be a leading member in the development of one of our user-centric esports properties such as our premier esports tournament platform ESL Play or yet to be announced projects.
As a leading member of your team, you will be relied on for your expertise in backend development to make smart decisions how our backend services are engineered, implement best practices and assist other team members.
Your Future Tasks:
- Building & improving our core backend services and software architecture
- Researching & experimenting how to improve how we build software
- Helping other teams architect their services
- Giving feedback & estimating upcoming work
- Planning work with your team
- Communicating with product owners & other teams
- Writing & updating tests
- Documentation in our documentation tool (Confluence)
- Issues kept up to date & work logged in our issue tracker (JIRA)
- 4+ years of experience in software engineering
- Experience architecting software, in particular microservices written in Scala
- Willingness to mentor other engineers
Nice to have:
- Any strong & statically typed languages other than Scala
- University degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar
- Effective communication skills with different stakeholders
- Experience with any of the following:
- Developing in Scala or any JVM language
- Orchestration with Mesos & Marathon, Docker, Kubernetes
- Databases such as PostgreSQL, Cassandara
- Kafka, Akka Streams
- Finch, Finagle (twitter stack)
- Cloud providers, in particular AWS
- Experience playing online games or knowledge of esports
ESL is the world's largest & leading eSports company, operating various online and offline competitions such as Intel Extreme Masters, ESL One, CS:GO Pro-League as well as numerous regional and national leagues. ESL has offices in 13 different countries and operations on all continents with around 500 employees. The global Headquarters is in Cologne, and we belong to MTG (Modern Times Group).
We are an incredibly fast paced digital company, driven by the passion for creating this new chapter of the sports entertainment history. We value independent minds, initiative and start-up mindset. We give quickly responsibilities and opportunities, with us you really can be somebody and have a positive impact.