Theorem is looking for a motivated craftsperson to join our global team of 130+ professionals to support our growing distributed services business. We are on a mission to dismantle the traditional consulting ecosystem and replace it with an effective framework for innovation that transforms the way businesses think about and solve problems from the inside out.
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2007, Theorem LLC (https://theorem.co) is a remote-first technology consulting company, fully distributed by design. We are privately-owned and committed to building a sustainable organization, at the company level, and for each of our team members.
Our services range from new product development, pure R & D, legacy modernization, pricing strategy development, revenue generation, process optimization, and organizational transformation and cultural design.
Customers come to us because they need to change to succeed and looking for a solution that isn't just about technology — but also people, process, and leadership. We consult, form a diverse team of experts, and deliver strategy and execution under one roof.
Current and past customers include some of the household names on the Fortune 200 list but also start-ups and non-commercial organizations.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As Experienced backend Engineer you will use Ruby as a core language and associated frameworks, to build a scalable platform that revolutionizes the way our client interacts with their customer. You will create and review pull requests daily and engage with internal teams and directly with clients with an agile environment. You will work in small teams with a product manager, designers and other engineers to scope design and implement features. You will provide input on app architecture.
WHO YOU ARE
As our Experienced Ruby Backend Engineer you have deep knowledge of the Ruby language and you make it a habit of learning the mechanics behind the magic of any framework.
You are a passionate technologist with the discipline to create and finish projects. You have opinions about your favorite open source projects, or perhaps you have contributed to some or started one of your own. You are a communicator. Whether you are raising the flag within an implementation or sharing your favorite playlist in Slack, you will not shy away from letting your voice be heard.
While we have team members all over the world, our current project needs require team members who are physically located between UTC -3 and UTC -8.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Architect and build web applications using Ruby
- Be a leader-contributor on a team creating a distributed system that will change the way people shop and interact in a retail environment
- Collaborate with product designers and clients to clarify requirements, prototype functionality and build products
- Plan, estimate and prioritize work in a remote, distributed team environment
- Guide our clients in best practices in order to achieve great project success
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS
- 5 + years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of production experience utilizing Ruby on Non-Rails environments
- Demonstrated proficiency with server side development using 2 or more programming languages such as Typescript, Scala, Python, Go or Rust
- Previous remote work experience is required
- Previous experience collaborating on highly distributed teams
- Previous experience in a consultative environment is required
- Experience working within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Possess a strong and reliable internet connection.
YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL WHEN
- You are able to hit the ground running within your area of expertise and are not afraid of challenges outside of it
- Thrive on collaborating with other team members and across disciplines
- You are happy to receive feedback and see it as an opportunity for reflection and improvement
- You are always learning - Whether you are learning to help your team and customer work through new concepts and technology
- You are astute, you know when to push an issue and when to let things lie
- You are friendly - you reach out to your teammates even if they aren’t on your project team
- You can work through ambiguity - you aren’t shy about asking questions to gain clarity
- Entrepreneurial and intrapreneurial - always on the lookout for new opportunities to improve the company externally and internally
BENEFITS AND PERKS
TEAM RETREAT - Once a year the entire Theorem team gets together at an inspiring location to meet, work and play.
HEALTHY BODY, HEALTHY MIND - HAPPY TEAM - We offer paid vacation and support healthy lifestyles through our physical fitness benefits program.
HEALTHCARE & FINANCE - For US & UK based full time employees; we have comprehensive benefits.
Theorem expects all team members to be honest, trustworthy, and operate with integrity. Discrimination and all unlawful harassment (including sexual harassment) in employment is not tolerated. We encourage success based on our individual merits and abilities, and all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, employee development decisions such as training, and all other terms and conditions of employment, are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, genetics, nationality, national origin, citizenship status, employment status, ethnicity, ethnic origin, color, creed, religion, belief, age, family or parental status, pregnancy, marital status, sex, gender, sex or gender assigned at birth, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, lifestyle, social class, military status, disability, hairstyle, physical features, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We oppose all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination. Theorem encourages applicants of all ages. Theorem is an equal opportunity employer. No statements by Theorem are intended to create an offer of employment unless made in writing, signed by an officer of the company and no offer shall become effective unless countersigned by the prospective employee.