Location: Work From Your Home for our All-Remote Company (USA only)
Do you want to work on a high volume server-side API that serves hundreds of requests per second? Are you excited about helping people and businesses collaborate more efficiently by building cutting edge tools for search and collaboration?
If so, we’d like you to learn about Files.com!
At Files.com, we’re building a cloud storage service that challenges the status quo through many unique features that really help people and businesses boost their productivity.
Our primary app and API is primarily written in Ruby on Rails (though we use Grape for APIs, not ActionController, and we don’t use Rails views at all). We have additional backend services written in Ruby, have built our own version of Resque, and heavily use things like Redis and Elasticsearch.
We are looking for Rubyists with strong backgrounds in data structures, algorithms, and scaling to join our team and help us build features into our already great app.
Read on to learn more!
Files.com is a cloud storage and file logistics service with over 1,500 paying business customers, including Target, Canonical, UPS, Leica, DirecTV, GoPro, Marriott, and more.
Our company consists of USA-based remote employees who work from home.
We’re Bootstrapped, Profitable, and Growing
Our success comes from building a great service that solves problems for our customers, and our growth comes from expanding and improving our products as quickly as we can.
We believe that great products can only be built by great people. So we’re on a quest to find the smartest, most creative, and most motivated people, and create an environment in which they thrive.
We Are A Remote Company
You will work from home and have some flexibility to choose your working hours, allowing you to make time for family, recreation, vacations, or anything that is important to you.
You’ll take off 11 company-wide holidays per year as well as 20 days of PTO for vacations. You’ll have the time to take longer vacations and have fun.
As our employees’ safety is a top priority, and we want to ensure we do not further spread COVID-19, we have paused all company travel. Once it is safe to resume travelling, you’ll travel to in-person meetings with your team and the entire company to meet and work together face to face. These meetings are in cities around the US, including Austin, Orlando, New Orleans, San Diego, Las Vegas, and New York City.
We think that these in-person meetings are vital to the success of a remote team.
About the Role
As a Serverside Developer at Files.com, you will take the lead on helping build cutting edge features into the Files.com product that drive value for the 1,700 business that use our platform for collaboration.
Our API receives hundreds of requests per second and is used by both internal and external developers.
Here are some examples of projects that our Serverside Developers will be tackling in the next 6-12 months:
- Implementing Single-Sign-On via OAuth, SAML, and SCIM.
- Implementing in-file search using Elasticsearch with custom input filters to index a plethora of document types.
- Building a scalable engine that can convert nearly any type of files to PDF for in-browser previews (like the former Crocodoc service).
- Upgrading our API documentation to be automatically generated using the OpenAPI standard, and the creation of automatically-generated SDKs.
- Building our Universal Sync engine, which is a tool that allows Files.com users to synchronize their files to other cloud services such as S3, Azure, and Rackspace.
- Building a file versioning tool that uses Git behind the scenes to give customers easy tracking of file versions.
Additionally, you’ll contribute to our ongoing projects for improving security, monitoring, and performance.
- 5+ years of directly applicable experience.
- Strong Computer Science background and understanding of algorithms and data structures.
- History developing and supporting actual applications that have seen production usage with a large userbase.
- Complete understanding of how to write secure code and an awareness of common web application security vulnerabilities.
- Experience with Ruby and Rails.
- Appreciation for testing and the ability to write specs using RSpec.
- Participation in open source Ruby gem projects, including ideally being the maintainer for a Gem that sees large usage in the community.
- Strong experience working at scale.
Our Core Beliefs
Here are just some of our Core Beliefs:
We believe that the best Engineers tend to be polyglots with a wide variety of programming language experience. We don’t hire for specific programming language skills, but rather look for engineers who are fluent in several programming languages. We want our staff to be adaptable and ready to evolve to what’s next.
We believe that open-source only works if companies give back. If you work on any open-source projects during the course of your work at Files.com, you are encouraged to submit your improvements as a pull request back to the upstream project. And if you build something from scratch while working here that’s generic and not related to our core products, we want you to release that on GitHub too. We’ll also pay your travel costs to any conference where you can get a speaking gig.
We believe in building products that we actually use ourselves. We are our own toughest critics and we put all of our products through their paces every day.
Salary, Pay, and Benefits
Files.com offers industry-leading salaries based on experience combined with unparalleled flexibility and other benefits to secure top talent.
You’ll take off 11 company-wide holidays per year as well as 20 days of PTO for vacations. Go have fun. Don’t work all the time.
We will provide you a laptop and a $1,000 signing bonus to purchase a new monitor, desk, or anything else that would help build or refresh your home office.
We’ll update your salary annually based on your performance, as reviewed by your peers.
We fully pay base plan health insurance premiums (exact plan details depend on your state of residence), and we’ll pick up the tab for 75% of your spouse or dependents if they wish to join your chosen plan. We want your family to be healthy.